Monday, May 17, 2004

A Little of the Old In and Out

In: Did JLo have plastic surgery? You be the judge.

Out: Arnold Shwarzenegger's Total Body Workout, circa 1984. God bless Scott Stereogum for giving us, the people, this pop cultural chestnut of when the Governator was just a weight-lifting shlub hawking health supplies. God gave rock and roll to you, but Scott Stereogum gives us the pop kulcha.

In: Jerry Springer, or, as they call him "Jere," in the trailer parks, is a Democratic Party delegate:

"According to the AP, Jerry Springer is a Democratic Party delegate for the Convention in DC:

"'(Springer's) made 50 appearances at Democratic events this year. He's been an outspoken advocate for the party,' said Dan Trevas, spokesman for the Ohio Democratic Party.

"Springer, who was the mayor of Cincinnati before hosting the raunchy 'The Jerry Springer Show,' was named Democrat of the Year by the state party last weekend. He was named Friday as one of 159 delegates and 24 alternates from Ohio at the convention July 26-29, when Sen. John Kerry is expected to be nominated as the party's candidate for president.

"'We welcome all delegates,' said Jennifer Palmieri, Ohio spokeswoman for the Kerry campaign."

Evidently.

The article concludes, interestingly, "Springer is considering running in 2006 for either Ohio governor or for the state's other Senate seat."

Out: Seacrest--Out!. According to that significant cultural artifact, The Star: "Ryan Seacrest is very upset these days -- (Ed. note The Star's) source says his TV talk show, On-Air with Ryan Seacrest, was canceled last week. (The Star's) source went on to tell (The Star) that Fox network execs were very unimpressed with Seacrest's ratings and were waiting for something to 'you know, pop!' But nothing happened -- 'his show is not a hit,' says (the) source. (The Star was) told execs called Ryan to their offices the week of May 3 and broke the news to him. 'He really thought the show would eventually take off -- he felt that at any minute, he was going to fly,' says my source. As a result, (The Star's) source says, Ryan has been taking out his frustrations on the cast members of his other show, American Idol. (The Star hears) his pals are just giving him some space to vent and get used to the bad news."

Seacrest--Out!

In: JK Rowling. According to Ananova:

"J K Rowling says she's 'well under way' with the sixth Harry Potter book.

"She took time off during her new son David's first year but is now back on track.

"On her website, Rowling, 38, says: 'Book six is well under way, hooray, although I still have a large and complicated book on my desk to remind me what happens where.

"'I am really enjoying this book, though for the first time I am conscious that I am approaching the end of the series.

"'So much of what happens in book six relates to book seven that I feel almost as though they are two halves of the same novel.'

"Rowling also teases fans by saying that regular visitors to her internet page will be able to find snippets of information on book six on the site 'if they can work out where to look'."

Out: Thinking Different. An Apple Store employee couldn't recognize Ed Bradley. This comes from Gizmodo:

"So I'm geeked to go buy a brand new Apple 23-inch display on a sunny New York Friday, on my way to the Apple Soho store. I enter and wander around looking for one of the aloof Apple drones to lower themselves to take my money. Finally I snag one and I'm given a card with some writing and told to stand and wait for the unit at the register. As I walk up, I come upon some Apple customer dissing in progress ... Holy smoke, yep, '60 Minutes' anchor Ed Bradley is an Apple fanatic! ... I walk up for my turn, and the really cute, but really clueless cashier is still looking at his back like he's an ass. I go, 'Yeah, that's Ed Bradley.' She says, 'Who's that?' I say, 'Uhhh, one of the most famous journalists on the planet on the most famous new program in the world ... The brain surgeon goes, 'Oh, I don't watch TV. He did seem upset though...whatever...' And here I thought Steve Jobs hired people with brains. Think Different indeed!"

No comments: