Wednesday, May 19, 2004

New CEO For Chateau D'Yquem

"How can I convince you what you see is real
Who am I to blame you for doubting what you feel
I was always reachin', you were just a girl I knew
I took for granted the friend I have in you

"I was living for a dream, loving for a moment
Taking on the world, that was just my style
Now I look into your eyes
I can see forever, the search is over
You were with me all the while"

Survivor, The Search Is Over


According to Fashion Wire Daily, Chateau D'Yquem is getting a new CEO:

"Luxury goods giant LVMH, the main shareholder of Chateau d'Yquem, has appointed Pierre Lurton CEO of the most legendary dessert nectar on the planet.

"Chateau d'Yquem, consisting of 250 acres producing just 500 bottles per acre of intense, delightfully luscious sauternes, was classed as an exceptional premier grand cru in the famed classification of 1855.

"Though taking over at d'Yquem, Lurton will continue to manage the estate of Cheval Blanc, the Saint-Emilion class A premier grand cru, once described by wine connoisseur Hugh Johnson as, 'delicious young, and lasts forever.'"

When did The Corsair first encounter Chateau D'Yquem? Oh yes, it was 1990, The Corsair was a freshman at college, dating a classmate who introduced said young man to the light and fruity pleasure in a Sheep's meadow on a misty Southern Vermont Spring afternoon (where are you now, I wonder, Maura). She had been saving it for just such an occasion. And now it is impossible to disentangle the Spring of 1990 with that bottle we shared, and what came after.

The Corsair encountered it again, years later, in Annapolis, Maryland. His tatses had become more refined and so he enjoyed it all the more so. It reminded him of what he was, and what he had become.

Congratulations to Pierre Lurton, the new helmsman of a brand that holds such good memories for so damn many Corsairs (drains glass in one sitting). And to the Spring of 1990.


(I know .. it's been a slow week)

No comments: