Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Media-Whore D'Oeuvres



"It seemed like everyone and their mother was celebrating the Y chromosome last night at Glamour magazine's 2009 Women of the Year awards ceremony: Rihanna's family was up from Barbados, a delegation of Iranian equal-rights activists made the trip, and the First Lady and the President appeared in separate video clips to give respective shout-outs to the Girl Scouts and the U.S. Ambassador to the U.N., Susan Rice. Following a performance by Estelle, a string of inspiring honorees took to the Carnegie Hall stage. "The adult version of me is still surprised that I'm here in front of you. However, the 10-year-old version of me is not," comedienne Amy Poehler joked. Like many of the evening's speakers, she offered some wisdom to the youth sitting in the upper balcony: 'If boys say something that's not funny, you don't have to laugh.' Presenting to Serena Williams, Tyra Banks mentioned a recent encounter with the tennis star's wax doppelgänger at Madame Tussauds. 'I started squeezing the biceps, squeezing the legs, squeezing the booty. Oh my God, I was in heaven!' Thankfully, President Bill Clinton offered a very different sort of introduction for Maya Angelou." (Style)



"Tribeca Prods. partners Jane Rosenthal and Robert De Niro have made a two-year deal with CBS Television Studios. They are working on a trio of New York-centric projects for CBS and its sister networks, two of which have taken root under the CBS Television Studios pact. Terry George has been signed to create and write 'Securing the City,' an hour-long pilot that will be based on the Christopher Dickey book 'Securing the City: Inside America's Best Counterterror Force.' The ensemble drama will chronicle the lives of the NYPD's elite counterterrorism and intelligence division, whose mission is to prevent terrorist activity by infiltrating and capturing perpetrators before they strike. The pilot will be exec produced by De Niro, Rosenthal and George, who most recently wrote and directed 'Hotel Rwanda' and 'Reservation Road.' George previously co-created the CBS drama 'The District.'" (Variety)



(image via NYSD)

"Last night. Two things. Book Parties and Harry Evans... They started at 8. Full breakfast (very good) at tables for a hundred or more guests and the discussion led by Harry Evans. He was well dressed but a little rumpled, like he’d already been up for hours working on something in the office. Or just rolled out of bed, take your pick. He has a slight figure, bantam-like in movement with a bit of leaning in to his posture as if he’s about to go into a race. But the personality that sidles up is big and authentic. The personality conducting an interview is penetrating but with furrowed brow and off-handed wit. You can’t decide which side he’s on because he seems to be on both. The journalist like very few...The other thing that intrigued: I realized that Harry Evans is 83. I never thought much about his age before. He’s just always been there, unchanging. What is it with these New York octogenarians? Barbara Carroll at the Algonquin Sunday is 84! That dowager belle of Broadway, Liz Smith is 86. And they’re so young. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t mean cosmetic surgery, etc., I mean their heads are young and vital. Except one thing: they know more." (NYSocialDiary)



"'I want my apartment to look just like this!' exclaimed Jean Paul Gaultier last night during Vladimir Restoin Roitfeld's curated exhibition, 'The Martus Maw,' a collection of works by French artist Nicolas Pol. While the old downtown meat market wasn't exactly the paragon of "homey," it certainly impressed Gaultier and the rest of the culture-seeking crowd as they ventured to the Lower East Side to peruse Pol's work. Friends (and family) including Carine Roitfeld, Stavros Nicharos, Erin Wasson and Tom Sachs were welcomed by a beaming Roitfeld and a swirling cloud of incense ...However, even closer was another Vogue editor...Giovanna Battaglia of Vogue Italia. 'When I was a child I hated being dragged to museums,' she said. 'I tried to escape. But now I've met Vladimir, and it seems like art follows me! My family is from art, and Vlad is bringing me back to my roots.' Conversely, her boyfriend had a different sentiment. 'You know when you're a kid and you have to go on a school trip to the museum and you get ready for a really boring day? It wasn't that way for me. I remember going to a Picasso exhibition in Paris when I was 10 years-old, and it was the best day of my life.'" (Fashionweekdaily)

No comments: